Ozzy Osbourne is set to return as an AI-powered avatar.
- READ MORE: Ozzy Osbourne, 1948-2025: culture-smashing revolutionary that redefined rock and reality TV
The news was revealed by Ozzy’s widow, Sharon, and son, Jack, at Licensing Expo in Las Vegas on Wednesday (May 20), during a discussion about the future of Ozzy’s brand.
To create the digital Ozzy, the family have partnered with tech company Hyperreal, which has previously created avatars of The Notorious B.I.G., Lionel Messi and Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee.
The creation bears “the digital DNA of Ozzy Osbourne, voice, image [and] movement,” Jack said at the event, while Sharon added: “You can ask Ozzy anything, and he will answer you in his own voice — and the answers will be what Ozzy would have said.
“We’re going to take it all around the world. People can talk to him and he will talk back,” she added.
The avatar will begin appearing in life-sized, interactive touchscreens across the US and UK this summer.
“It’s kind of scary how it’s really very accurate,” Jack said. “He will exist digitally as himself for as long as we have computers. Technology has come such a long way to where it’s almost drag-and-drop. You could shoot a template for a commercial … literally prompt what you want Digital Ozzy to do in that commercial and you just drop it in. It’s that simple now.”
Hyperreal CEO Remington Scott explained that the avatar was built “exclusively from authenticated, approved source material: curated, consented, and controlled by the people who love him most,” per Billboard. ”This is a living performance, not a rendering; and it draws from nothing that wasn’t given willingly. We have the enthusiastic participation of Ozzy’s family, and that changes everything about what this can be.”
“It’s an honour to be trusted to bring one of true gods of rock back to the world to continue to connect with fans — thank you Sharon and Jack!” added David Nussbaum, founder of Proto Hologram. “We wouldn’t do it if we didn’t know both of our company’s technologies will create an experience that truly extends Ozzy’s presence, his heart and soul, into the future.”
In other news, earlier this month, Jack shared that a biopic about his parents, Ozzy and Sharon, is “absolutely” happening and is pencilled in for a 2028 release.
The film was first announced in 2021, and is set to tell the story of the Prince Of Darkness and his wife and manager, Sharon. It is being written by Oscar-nominee Lee Hall (Rocketman, Billy Elliott), and developed by Sony Pictures and Polygram Entertainment.
There has been speculation over whether Yungblud could portray the Prince Of Darkness in the long-mooted biopic about the star. Piers Morgan had put Harrison’s name forward during an interview with Sharon late last year. Looking taken aback, she responded: “I’m not saying a word.”
Then, in January, Ozzy’s son Jack revealed that “a phenomenal, phenomenal actor” would be taking on the role. “We have a director attached, and we’re doing a rewrite right now,” he said at the time.
Elsewhere, homelessness charity Centrepoint recently cut ties with Sharon Osbourne after she appears to lend support to Tommy Robinson far-right rally. The charity commented: “This sort of event does not align with our values”
Leave a comment